View Single Post
Old Sep 18, 19, 1:06 am
buschoi

Programs: AA, AS, CX, SQ, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Will you be taking CX819 that departs YVR in the afternoon or CX865 that departs YVR at midnight?

I have taken SEA-YVR-HKG a few times. Your bags should be tagged through to HKG regardless of which flight you are on. However, Alaska won't be able to print CX's boarding pass. For CX819, when the transit desk is open at YVR, you can get through passport control with a printed itinerary and/or bag tags. Then you either get the CX boarding pass printed at the gate or at the CX lounge (you will have lounge access flying F). For CX865, the transit desk at YVR should be closed when you land at YVR. You will have to go through Canadian immigration to go landside, go upstairs to the departure hall and head to CX's check-in counter, get the boarding pass printed, and do the exit security again.

For CX819, the bags are usually transferred automatically. For CX865, despite the Alaska check-in agent telling me the bags were checked through and I did not have to pick them up at YVR, my bags have mystically shown up on the belt. I had to pick them up, go through Canadian immigration, and go upstairs to CX's check-in counter to re-check them. What I usually do now, if I transit to CX865, is to wait at the belt for a while to make sure my bags are transferred automatically before I proceed with Canadian immigration.

AS staff are useless in this regard. I have had inconsistent answers during check-in in Seattle and at the baggage assistance counter in YVR. Most of the times the bags should transfer OK, but I have learned to be safe rather than being sorry.