FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Airbus planes to track cabin movements; will AA buy in?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:59 pm
Gig103

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I agree that some of there IoT capabilities are useful, some less, some creepy.

Useful ones in my opinion, include the ones that provide actionable data to the flight crew, such as available overhead bin space, unbuckled seat belts, low inventory on items in lavs and the like.

The call button one will be an interesting social study. I personally believe many pax today are reluctant to use the call button today to request service, because it calls attention to them and they are unsure if it is OK to use it for service requests. Now if it is clearly stated on screen interface that one can order service, I would think the number of service requests are going to rise, to the delight of the FAs

Creepy ones include tracking shows watched, music listened, outside lav cameras and general tracking of pax. These types might get the biggest backlash if attempts are made to implement them widely.
These days, I honestly expect there are metrics on the inflight entertainment (well, on aircraft that still OFFER it, stupid Project Oasis). Heck, the Nielsen Ratings have been around for most of television's existence, and anonymized metrics tell airlines what shows to keep and which to pull. To me it's when they start correlating it with me that I get creeped out. "Welcome aboard Gig103, you'll be pleased to know we have your armrest already raised and loaded new episodes of Curb your Enthusiasm"