FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Jacksonville FL REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:14 pm
AStarr

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RMC500 View Post
I had a one-night, mid-week stay around four months ago. Yes, there is a Regency Club, which is open during the week. It was almost deserted on the evening I was there. Room and lobby renovations are completed. Ask for a room facing the river - those rooms have a view and windows that open. Self-parking is around $20 per night. Downtown Jax dries up after 6:00 p.m. Except for a few bars and so-so restaurants at The Landing, about 1/4 mile away, there is nothing within walking distance of the hotel. There are a lot of group conventions at the hotel, but this is not a tourist destination.
The Landing is scheduled for demolition. Soon.

Downtown Jax is tough for food unless you know it well. And you're right - it really isn't a tourist destination. The city is trying to change that though.

There are a handful of bars that are pretty solid and within walking distance (Dos Gatos being a personal favourite - they bring snacks for Friday happy hour and tailgate Sundays during season). Restaurants outside of lunch are scarce. I highly suggest Olio for lunch. I believe they still do dinner on the first Wednesday of the month. Spliff's is good for late night inexpensive food (and build-your-own mac'n'cheese), the Italian place around the corner is so-so. As for Bay Street, Myth runs a kitchen still. Bay Street Bar and Grill is decent though the crowd can be fairly colourful. A bit farther is Burrito Gallery and Super Food & Brew - both are good. I can't speak much to Cowford Chophouse except to say that apparently it is very expensive by Jacksonville standards and it has a rooftop bar. Five Star Pizza delivers to downtown. As does I believe anything you can find on Community Couriers. The walk over the Main Street bridge isn't so bad and right at the end of it are a sushi place (Sake House) and the Chart House (seafood). That's before you get into San Marco properly. There's a couple things on the other side of Main Street on the Hyatt side of downtown as well that I've not been to.