FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Jacksonville FL REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 19, 9:39 pm
Maxwell Lee

I cannot comment much on the property itself as I have never stayed here (although over the years that I lived in Jax I stopped in to visit/eat with/pick up colleagues many many times).

What I did want to do is just mention, in case the concierge hasn't been doing a good job, that there are a couple worthwhile places within walking distance. If you're tired of the Morton's on site, there is a very popular local high end steakhouse called Cowford Chophouse basically around the corner. Value is not the best (quite pricey) and somewhat inconsistent service (so I hear, don't live in Jax so don't frequent this place) but quality food and fantastic rooftop for drinks/apps. Olio and Spliff's Gastropub are also nearby and worth a visit as well, as is Bold City Brewery's downtown location.

If you're willing to hike 10-12 minutes away (which doesn't sound like much but given downtown Jax's lack of pedestrian-friendliness that's actually not a very inviting distance) you could hit Bellwether restaurant or Volstead (which is my favorite craft cocktail bar in Jax). If you dare go the opposite direction down the very barren Bay St towards the stadium, you can also walk to Intuition Ale Works, I believe the most popular microbrewery in the city.

There is a downtown HP in the works, although some of us are nervous after each passing day with no word of "groundbreaking." If/when this property does open, though, it would definitely be the better location for walkability/vibrancy compared to the HR.