FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flights with returns that wont be used
View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:53 am
PUCCI GALORE
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's a ticketing arrangement where two sector have a better - or worse - availability that each sector on its own. If you look at ALC to LGW for a particular flight you may see that you have J9 C9 D9 R4 I0. LGW to TOM may be the same too, but if you try to book ALC to TOM it could be J9 C9 D9 R9 I9, so plenty of space in the cheapest bucket, since they want to promote TOM to the worthy burgers of Alicante.
Thank you Love - I really did not know that - nor did I know where TOM was. So how would that work in practice if you were making a booking? Would you book to TOM (or wherever via ALC get the I inventory and just not fly to TOM? )

I did that some years back with CO. Without going into the circumstances but I was supposed to fly EWR-DFW-EWR. I never got to EWR from LHR in time to make the flight and the whole booking cancelled. They wanted £600 to fly to EWR on the following Monday. I had bought the ticket over the weekend for far less. I realised that it was a one way and that round trips were cheaper. That brought the fare down to £200 as I chose some obscure day in February to return. The outbound was in December. The useful Cities Nearby box showed so I ticked it. The fare DFW-EWR-ALB-EWR-DFW priced at £122. I flew DFW - EWR and never flew the rest of the sectors. To add insult to injury I upgraded with miles.

Do you suppose that the FBI is still seeking me?