FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is this a Legal International Connection?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:48 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfirst
The connection time is about 1 hour in YYZ, and it is very early in the morning. There is similar flight, on A.C., about 90 min after the United flight - but I would like to keep this all on United, as much as possible.

is this a legal connection? and/or bad idea?
No. Yes.

I am hoping that at 530, pre-clearing might be easier/faster?
Not that much faster.

Since both of these are on United 016 - will they let me combine them?
No.

MSPecon - please elaborate on your comment and why it is significant?
On a connection -- a single ticket -- you'd be protected against delays, and re-accommodated automatically. On separate tickets, AC's responsibility ends at getting you to YYZ, and UA has no responsibility if you miss your flight.

The published Minimum Connection Time for AC-UA transfers at YYZ is 1:25. You're not even close. You would not be able to check luggage on this itinerary (although, I hope you weren't planning to do so anyway, given the time crunch).

Yes, UA might be willing to put you on the later UA flight if you arrive late, either because you're a 1K or through an application of the flat tire rule. But, I wouldn't risk it personally. For separate tickets, I'd have a minimum 4 hour cushion, if not more. I'd buy a later, UA-operated flight, and if things go really smoothly, I'd look to SDC to the earlier one (assuming no checked baggage).

Last edited by jsloan; Sep 15, 2019 at 8:54 am