FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stay night in Emeryville or go from OAK to Amtrak?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:00 am
frugal_flyer

Thank you both for the replies.

Sorry, I meant to mention that I would be taking the train on a Thursday. I did think of a cab or Uber from the airport, but I just thought that since it would be during morning commute hours that BART would be faster, to say nothing of much cheaper. From looking at the BART schedule, if I get the 7:43 or 7:58 train at Coliseum Station, that would get me to MacArthur at either 8 or 8:15. Even paying $25 or whatever for a cab from MacArthur to the Amtrak station would be significantly cheaper than staying in Emeryville. If I couldn't get the Go Around bus, I would have no problem with a cab ride being my only expense.

I could avoid any cash outlay by using points to stay the night in Berkley and take a cab or Uber from there, I suppose. It would be either the Super 8 or Rodeway near the campus on University Drive I think.

I am aware of the hotels near the station, but they are all high end (to me, anyway). I have no points for Hyatt, Marriott, etc., and I am not in a position to pay $200 to $300 to stay there. From what I've read --I have been to San Francisco but not Oakland/Emeryville/East Bay-- the motels in Emeryville are pretty substandard and not super safe. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I know this is no predictor of the future, but the Southwest flight I am/would be taking has a 100% on time record, so I am not too worried about that.

In your opinion, if I were to take a cab or Uber from OAK to the Amtrak station, would I make it, factoring in traffic? Assuming that the flight is on time, I would have about an hour and 15 minutes approximately after I deplane to make the 8:45 boarding time. From trying to map it, it appears to be about 17 miles or so.

If you both feel very strongly that I shouldn't do this, then I will get the room in Berkley and cab/Uber from there. I do value your opinions, trust me. But like my name implies, I try to do things as frugally as I can because then I can do more things. Thanks again for your input!