FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man Charged With Stealing 42 million DL SkyMiles
Old Sep 14, 2019, 4:13 am
No_Name

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What inventory class do they require?
When I read the instructions, the booking class for C+ is SY, but it can only be performed by a Delta agent, so I don't know if there is an internal inventory control. For a first class upgrade it says OY for delta agent and O for a regular agent. If there is O inventory available, then upgrade goes through.

The bottom line is that I'm skeptical of valuation. You can redeem 10000 points for 10 beverage/headset coupons. That values the points at 0.009 $/point, putting the case at $378K. The only way I could see the stated valuation is if they are using F/Y fares as the fare basis and not the booking class (e.g. T for a regular SB main cabin or Q for an enhanced availability). Even if they did use T/Q for a main cabin, I wouldn't put the effective valuation at that amount because there is no guarantee that you would be able to book--the SkyBonus website explicitly recommends calling and checking for availability before ordering the reward. If it is less reliable than cash, the value has to be discounted. Thus, the only reliable value metrics are the drink coupons, single visit passes, and sky club individual membership. That puts the valuation at 0.0015 $/point to 0.009 $/point

Last edited by No_Name; Sep 14, 2019 at 4:30 am