FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines Kicks Elderly Professor Couple Off Late-Night Flight
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:23 pm
rickg523
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
That's my belief as well.

I was intentionally trying not to suggest that. As I said, not all assaults are prosecuted, nor should they be. It doesn't change the fact that it's assault.

I mean, you can assume anything that you like, but I take umbrage to your assumption. I cast down on the veracity of the report because it's ridiculously hyperbolic, not because I fly United. The attitude that "the customer is always right" is one of the biggest problems that we have as a culture, because it leads to service employees being treated like dirt.

Is it possible that the couple was entirely in the right? Sure, but it doesn't seem likely. It sounds like both sides are at fault -- the FA, for insisting that the couple was lying about the boarding pass (why would they lie?), and then the couple, for escalating the situation after they were already seated in their seats.

If they'd simply dropped the matter, they would have flown and had a story to tell about the ridiculous FA. Instead, it seems that they were determined to get the last word, and look where it's gotten them.
Sorry, but in this case it doesn't seem like the service employee was treated like dirt. It sounded like the passengers were.
Were they responsible for duplicate BPs?
Were they the ones who lost one of 4 BPs?
Did they accuse themselves of not having a BP (a ridiculous assertion since they were onboard, implying incompetence of the Gate Crew)?
And were they at fault, once being accused of lying, for trying to show their accuser that, yes, they actually had a BP for that seat on this flight, once it was found?
And for this they got booted? And I'm sorry, maybe your experiences have been different than mine, but I've found a much higher than average number of entitled pissants wearing the UA uniform.
So I really don't think much of this sad tale has been spun. We'll just have to disagree, since neither of us were there.