FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines Kicks Elderly Professor Couple Off Late-Night Flight
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:51 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
No idea what sensitivity people have, but I tap people all the time, for stupid stuff like your kid's shoe fell off, you dropped your wallet, let me help you with that. Never once have people overreacted, ever. Instead they are thankful I took the time to care.
You presumably weren't in an argument with these people at the time.

UA has self created a toxic environment for everyone, passengers and employees. Most employees are fine, and it's the few that create the toxic environment, just as a few bad passengers do so as well.
I must have a high tolerance for that particular toxin. I've rarely noticed -- out of hundreds of UA flights, I can think of approximately two FAs that seemed to be in a really bad mood.

However status passengers with no previous issues lead to me to believe this is the FA on a power trip, not the couple.
Presumably, they didn't run into a similar situation before. It doesn't mean that they were above using this to their advantage when it happened. Or, hell, maybe they were fine until they decided they "had to" prove that they were right, at which point they managed to get themselves kicked off of the plane, and they're now trying to line their pockets as a result.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
FAs sometimes touch passengers, for example to wake someone for breakfast. Can the FA then be fired for assaulting the customer?
I imagine that UA management would use approximately the same standards in assessing a claim that a prosecutor would if someone brought them a case. Waking someone up doesn't rise the level of a fireable offense, just as no prosecutor would file charges against the FA for it.