FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Hotel points program should I invest in? (Infrequent traveler)
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:23 am
bosman

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Just one perspective, but I think you need to clarify what is your primary objective. You indicate "gather points for the occasional “aspirational trip”" above. If that is accurate and you won't be actually staying at hotels a lot as you build up your points, things like status, upgrades and free breakfast should be low on your consideration check list and you would be more focused on which CC SUB and on-going points earnings are worth the most.

I also wouldn't throw Hyatt out of the equation unless you have a huge amount of UR points you are willing to allocate to your aspirational trip as those can get very pricey point-wise, particularly if you are looking to stay in a premium room.

You can check out The Points Guy's latest valuation for hotel points and then do the math on what the SUB and on-going earnings are worth, recognizing that the latter gets complicated depending on where you spend (dining, gas, etc.) that have different multipliers across cards.

PS nice summary of the programs!