FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Expat Seeks Australian United Travel Advice
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalker70

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've followed up with several Universities that were in the running and they're all telling me September 2020 at the earliest so it looks like I'll be doing my PhD in Sydney!

Based on the feedback provided it seems like my best bets are either UA or NZ/UA (transiting at AKL) if I'm heading for the Americas. I personally refuse to fly AC internationally for a number of reasons not the least of which being how cramped their 777 HDs are, along with the lack of E+ seating (to say nothing of the lack of GPU opportunities). I'm wondering from a ticketing perspective if I'm travelling to the Americas if it would make sense to simply book roundtrips out of a UA West coast hub (i.e. SFO or LAX) then piece together the remaining travel I have with other flight products versus doing multi-city tickets?

One other question - I'll likely be flying to Europe as well from SYD. What are the best options over there? I know SQ and have pretty good coverage but sadly they tend to have some of the lowest PQM earnings on MilagePlus. Alternatively, I can take UA all the way to Europe by first taking a "domestic" trip to the US then connecting on to the European flight.

Safe Travels,

James