FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What Happens to YQ During Involuntary Award Changes?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:49 pm
demue

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by coltonatx
My reservation was ticketed months ago on UA metal. I am only seeking changes because of the schedule change. This is very different than someone trying to book LH metal up front.
Yes, I understand that and the answer remains the same whether that's what feels right to you or not. You have no recourse against KF to ask them to absorb the YQ. Even under these circumstances. UA changed the flights, KF can only reroute you where they have access to inventory.

While "a liason agent" from KF could reach out to UA and try to seek help for your case, honestly I haven't seen that happening once in 18+ years with KF program. Especially not between SQ & UA, they are not so fond of one another.

You can ask them to look for another option on UA even via other gateways, not ORD, that incurs little to no YQ and there should be no change / reissue fee of course.

However, if there is nothing they will not be able to offer you anything but LH or a refund.

You want a better routing, do your own research and offer options to the KF agent that suit you that have award seats available. Given you are flying from IAH, why don't you ask them for routing IAH-MAN on SQ and then MAN-MUC on LH?

Yes there will still be YQ on MAN-MUC, but much less than for the long-haul segment on LH. SQ charges no YQ and they can send a request to their own Revenue Mgmt to open an award seat on SQ metal if needed though no guarantees. You won't know till you try.

Last edited by demue; Sep 12, 2019 at 9:05 pm