FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting a Chinese Drivers License
View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:58 pm
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by trueblu
It seems STS is really keen to test the limits of the system. Please do report back once you've jumped a few red lights (which you seem to proactively prepare for in CA) when next in China in your FIL's car. I'm genuinely impressed by your willingness to spend so much time beating the system...you've done a brilliant job in the US. So I think that's no longer a challenge...and you're hankering for something to really test your mettle.

tb
I don't think you really understand. I don't try to get tickets, and my goal is to never get one. But if I do get one, I'm going to do everything I can to prevent it from going on my record. I'm certainly not going to drive around intentionally running red lights or speeding past cameras at 150% of posted speed limit just so I can fight tickets. And I'm usually extra careful abroad and out of my home state because I don't want to have to fly back to somewhere to go to court.

It's a good thing that I can read some basic Chinese and don't have trouble with the road signs in China, which are generally pretty good. But sometimes, you end up breaking the law, despite your best efforts. I was driving in Panama City a couple months ago and the signs were so bad, I was in the wrong lane and ended up going the wrong way down a ramp (as in, against traffic). I quickly threw the car in reverse and backed up, then went the proper direction. I could have been cited if a cop saw it but obviously I didn't do it intentionally, and I would have argued that the signage was extremely poor and I've got dashcam video to prove it. At least the signs in China aren't THAT bad.

Last edited by STS-134; Sep 12, 2019 at 2:12 pm