FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there any hidden benefit to spending more then $15k a year?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:03 pm
ATOBTTR
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
Do you have any evidence of this? Delta introduced rollover YEARS ago to stop people from defecting after gaining the top status. This had the unintended consequence of allowing multi-year DMs almost in perpetuity. They fixed that with MQDs. How is this not currently working for Delta's benefit?
This is true at least for me. I’m in the middle of an AA challenge for AA PLAT but once I complete it, I have little incentive to fly AA the rest of the year, unless AA is way cheaper. OTOH, I’m about to cross the threshold of booked MQMs for requalifying for PM status on DL for next year and each flight/trip beyond that is rollover going into next year, better positioning me for status with DL in 2021. I’m not going to hit DM so if DL didn’t have rollover, I would have less incentive to choose DL over AA. But I’m placing value on rollover going into 2020 which will have me still leaning towards DL for my remaining trips in 2019.