FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Expat Seeks Australian United Travel Advice
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:23 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by j2simpso
So what would the logical * connection options be for flights to the Americas? I'm guessing UA, NZ, SQ, NH and AC? IIRC UA and NH are both GPU eligible routes? I also have a friend who is a GS member who can sometimes sponsor my upgrades using her GPUs. I take it that will boost my chances of an upgrade occurring?
It depends on what you mean by logical. If you connect in Asia on your way between Australia and the US, you are roughly doubling your transit time (to the West Coast) and while some of the Asian *A carriers will try to lure you away (and do publish fares via their hubs) it is quite out of the way. However if you have time and not money, and want PQM, maybe that is up your alley

NH is the only other TPAC carrier on which GPU can be used, but requires a minimum E fare (PE) or B fare (Economy, probably more expensive than E). The only "logical" connection options for a time-sensitive traveler are going to be on NZ and AC (plus UA). Going to the East Coast things level out a little, but avoiding Asia is still much faster.

What does the connection process look like for NZ? I'm guessing you'd connect at AKL? How smooth are connections at AKL? Is it just going to the gate since you're arriving on a "domestic" flight from SYD? What are the * lounges like at SYD and AKL?
Seamless airside I/I - no security [see below] or passport check. I'm a huge fan of the NZ lounges but I think part of that is personal taste (the *A lounge in TBIT is run by NZ if that gives you an idea). The AKL lounge is a bit crowded, but SYD is very nice (I prefer the NZ lounge to SQ).

As for travel planning, I'm usually booking my flights out 3-6 months in advance. Ideally I'd like to get a confirmed upgrade on purchase and am willing to spend a little more to make that happen (i.e. a W fare or Premium Plus flight).

From an upgrade standpoint is it better to start out with a W fare if the fare differential is small (say $200-$300 r/t)? It's also my understanding that GPUs can only be applied on W fares and above. Is it possible to get an upgrade confirmed at the time of booking, particularly if you are booking many months in advance?
If you have some flexibility and patience, I think you can find PZ space on Mon/Tue/Wed without too much difficulty. Should be quite easy to find PN space for your donated GS GPU. The difference from cheapest Economy to W is rarely small in the US-ANZ market, so without an upgrade available at booking it gets trickier. This could be a case where miles+copay is actually a good idea. The minimum fare for a GPU on UA metal is W, or any revenue PE fare (AKL-SFO has PE).

I'm guessing Australia has cabotage rules that prevent one from taking NZ flights to connecting within Australia (i.e. SYD > MEL via AKL)?
As Mwenenzi mentioned, no laws just price. Taxes alone on SYD-AKL-MEL would be something like NZ $200. Airfare is heavily taxed in Australia.

Good to know. I'm guessing I can use my BA Avios points to book a QF domestic flight? Is it good value for money?
Yes - it used to be 10/20 in Y/J but might be more now. Depends a lot on your comparison point as to a "good value" but generally short-haul is a good use of Avios since no YQ. However, if you can get a deep discount SYD-MEL for A$119 then you won't be getting nearly as much in an award. But when I used 20k AA miles for CNS-HBA in J, that was quite worth it versus the sky-high J prices domestic - something like A$700.

Last edited by findark; Sep 12, 2019 at 1:00 pm