FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Personal Computer...how much is too much
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:26 am
navi_jen

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Thanks all, but I feel like many folks are NOT listening. It's a personal laptop, not a work one. I value sturdy design and storage capacity over portability on my personal laptop.I could give a rats $ss about weight. I do not want to worry about plugging in hard drives to listen to my music (and a crapton of my music is rare stuff and not available online). I want to buy something that is going to last for a while, 5-6 years. Do not try to change my mind on this subject.

My work laptop, yep, all for portability and replacing every two years (I have been on the road for 15+ years, 200+ nights a year..trust me, I know about portability of laptops for work). But these are 2 separate machines for very different usages (and I must have separate machines).

For my personal laptop, I think I'm going to swap out the harddrive on the T430 and wait for prices to come down on the P53. Only thing I hate about the P53 is the lack of external battery...but I may wait for a perfectly built P52 to crop up so that I can get 2T of storage + an external battery and a workhorse machine.

I do appreciate the feedback on the RAID, though, it makes total sense to have redundancy in separate locations. Forgotten about a basic principle of Disaster Recovery.

Last edited by navi_jen; Sep 11, 2019 at 6:31 am