FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AE Upgrade Denied - Looking for an opinion
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:30 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Of course

The station manager refused to put them on the list. That was the exact request. Please put us on the list for an upgrade to O.

No, the cabin is full, I won't do it.

Flight departs not full.

It is clear she didn't want to or couldn't be bothered, it seemed.

Clarification, it was not me but my parents (one who is also a MM, so he knows the routine)
I don't think I've ever had anyone unwilling, just unable.

Here's from your ticket receipt, which I would quote in your next reply to AC:

If your itinerary includes flights operated by Air Canada or Air Canada Express where you redeemed a Fixed Mileage Flight
Reward in Business Class, but only seats in the Economy cabin were available at the time of booking, on the day of
departure you may request that an Air Canada check-in agent places you on the standby list for an upgrade to the Business
Class cabin. Standby is not permitted on flights operated by other Star Alliance member airlines. Please note that airport
standby upgrades are subject to availability and cannot be guaranteed. The mileage level redeemed for this itinerary is
valid and no compensation or mileage adjustments will be provided.
Technically it doesn't say "they must fulfill your request and place you on the standby list", but if they actually refused, it seems like they broke policy.

Courts don't like when companies violate contracts they wrote.

Originally Posted by RangerNS
"Please put us on the list for an upgrade to O."

isn't correct. The correct phrasing, and correct me if I'm wrong, Cow, would be

"Please put us on the standby list for our entitled spot in O."
From the other thread:

"Hi, I have a business class Aeroplan redemption, but this segment is only confirmed in economy. Can you please add me to the upgrade list for business class?"