FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GGL timing and companion card questions
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:21 am
Silverchaser

When is it worth earning your own tier points?

Originally Posted by ermen
To maximise the time for your nominee:
1. For a new member - register their account FIRST. Then nominate them, they should get a tad over ~2 years (ie end of their current membership year + the following). If think if you nominate an unregistered member, they only get a tad over a year (i have never tried the latter...)
2. For an existing member, nominate them AFTER their card expiry date. Otherwise, under a strict reading of the T&C, if you nominate between TP year end and card expiry date end, they only get the benefit till the end of the card expiry + 1 year after.

Guys,

I was lucky enough to be gifted a Silver partner card. My tier point collection year ends May 2020 and my Silver card expires June 2021. All good so far ...

I have some trips planned though, so am likely to get around 500 tier points of my own before May 2020. The app says I can "retain Silver" by collecting 600 points, presumably by May 2020. My question - is there any point in pushing it to 600? How long would my Silver be retained for? Will it give me an extra year of Silver, i.e. to 2022?

Would appreciate any advice!

Cheers