FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:43 am
Mikey Mike Mike

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I have two questions which hopefully are not repeat questions........

1. How much has this two day strike actually cost BA. I accept whatever the cost is, there is an offset of pilots wages and allowances not being paid, saved fuel, food etc etc. However, if you take hard costs, loosing a booking AND paying out to Virgin or others for the new flight, loss of reputation, fliers discovering the likes of Qatar or Virgin (or being put off as well !!) - how can BA say this makes good business sense.
In my previous job as a COO of a transit organisation in Canada, I often paid out to individuals or groups in the unions where it made business sense financially or for business continuity.(admittedly with gritted teeth)
I accept that both sides are usually at fault (to some degree) in any dispute BUT the intransigence of BA, and an unwillingness to settle makes no sense at all. In the media today, Brand Reputation has been raised and the damage each strike does. It also suggested that shareholders may be worried about their investment. And what a way to celebrate BA100 and undo all of the goodwill created in the summer so far. (except a lack of Speedbird100 for me - which is another story!)
I accept 5 million is a lot if it's incurred every year (plus inflation) ad infinitum, but I suspect the cost of the strike FAR exceeds the cost of settling which is baffling at best. The other problem here will be that when BA next see's a turndown in business or profit (sometime soon if this carries on!), that when they ask groups to settle or take cuts, the answer will be no - OR get it clearly in writing how the cut would be reversed in better times.

2. Any chance some of the (older) aircraft could be cleaned over the next few days at Heathrow or outstations? What a great opportunity to keep the cleaners busy (on minimum wages and zero hour contracts probably) to do a deep clean and tackle the areas not possible on a turnaround. Or descale the toilets, fix the IFE, empty the magazine pocket - oh the list could go on. For all the wrong reasons, this is a unique chance for BA to do a "spring clean", or for Heathrow Airport Ltd, to do some deep cleaning T3 and T5. perhaps even change some light bulbs!

Though I'm not affected by the strike, I feel for the PAX who have been inconvenienced, for other BA staff (especially cabin crew) who may be missing out on allowances, and especially the pilots who will have done this as a last resort.
I don't feel for BA or IAG or the shareholders who should be asking serious questions around BA's Exec team, their decision making and inability to negotiate a deal. I watched the clip on BBC of AC on the Today programme justifying BA's position. His responses were poor, scripted or rehearsed and dodged the question several times. I know it's in the media training a lot of us have had, but still badly disguised!! It did make me wonder as he struggled to respond and justify BA's position whether it's his decision to hold out, or whether WW and IAG are pulling the strings - either way, everyone loses which is a result no one should want