FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Back to back Ex EU - baggage?
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:58 am
rfarlz

Programs: QF P1, OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Cymro
One other option that I like is to do the back-to-back the night before, without an overnight in e.g., Oslo.

So if you were flying to Australia on Friday, you'd fly to Oslo on the second-to-last flight of the day, leaving Heathrow at 5.35, departing Oslo at 9.30 p.m. and getting in at 10.40 p.m. You then do whatever you'd normally do on Friday, giving you a free choice of LHR-HKG and LHR-SIN departures to route on to Australia on Friday, as none will take off more than 24h from the OSL-LHR landing in London. As such, you're not liable for APD or charged for a stopover but you can just show up with normal luggage for your outbound long-haul leg.
This is great advice I have done this before and find it works well, especially since I was living only a very short drive from Heathrow.

My favourite advice for the return is to try and book flights that arrive into LHR and depart LGW - your bags will be checked to LHR only, and it's pretty easy to "miss" your final leg. If you're lucky with irrops you might even be able to reschedule your last leg to be the first leg of your next b2b!