FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancelled flight because of ATC
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:56 am
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Laura3
I just had a late flight to Seatac delayed, missed my red-eye connect to Dulles and was rescheduled for a flight twelve hours later. In a middle seat. Alaska offered.... Nothing. My flight landed at 9:23, the connect left at 9:19 - it was supposed to take off at 9:25.

They could have waited ten minutes. I get an extra hundred dollars on my bill, a terrible seat, and miss an entire day, but Alaska doesn't want to so much as offer me a sandwich because it's ATC delay? I don't have anyway to avoid this either.
I don't think 2 minutes meets minimum connect time. I understand you are frustrated but should Alaska open up the cash register evertime something happens outside their control?

I had a similar experience with AA where I sat on the tarmac in F for just short of 3 hours at JFK heading to SEA after an electrical storm. We were #77 for takeoff, returned to the gate and the flight was then cancelled due to the crew time-out. We were reaccommodated to a Philippine Airlines flight JFK-YVR on a 777 both in a different middle section, middle seats in 10 across economy. The crew for that flight showed up 90 minutes after sceduled departure. We then misconnected in YVR for our flight to YLW and waited another 4 hours for a direct flight home via YYJ. 38 hours total from departing in paid J from VCE. What did AA do for us? Nothing..... other than a reaccomodation. If I wanted to wait for an F seat the following day, a hotel and food would have been at my expense. They don't control the weather nor the ATC.

Originally Posted by Laura3
Besides picking another airline. I signed up for Virgin America, not Alaska anyway.
Feel free to wait for the next Virgin America flight! Joking aside, it is a part of traveling. 98% of the time it goes as planned, 2% of the time it creates the memories we laugh about later. There is also trip delay insurance for those risk adverse. Are you perhaps covered?

James