FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:04 am
raehl311

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nautikal
(FWIW, this is a bit different, but I do know that SDC now does not work for changing to a later day on a second leg, because of the fare rules and presumably because this could only be done through a SDC, not standby (since you cannot standby onto a later flight). E.g., I recently tried at the airport to SDC my second leg to the following day, and two separate agents gave me the same answer that this wasn't possible due to the fare rules)
The agents won't do it (or at least they have to do some magic to override their system), but if there is fare class availability, pretty sure the app will. (As in I've done it, although not super-recently. You do have to wait until your first leg flight closes out.)

You can absolutely, however, standby for a later flight. You just lose your confirmed flight.

Originally Posted by garykung
OP has a Saturday BP and wants to standby a Friday flight. While TSA might allow the use of the Saturday BP on Friday, having a Friday Standby BP-thingy can at least reduce the trouble with TSA.

UA's SDC policy is not calendar day, but hour based.
A few notes on that:

- TSA shouldn't let you through with a boarding pass for the next day (where next day is after 3 AM or so, obviously your midnight-2 AM departures are an exception.)
- UA probably will not let OP standby for a Friday flight with a Saturday ticket.
- UA will let OP Same Day Change to a Friday flight if there is fare class availability, or he wants to pay the fare difference (change fee would be waived.)