FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling w/ children on AA.
View Single Post
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:50 pm
gateH15

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Thanks in advance. Apologies if there is a current thread on the topic. I only fly AA once or twice a year and we have a relatively (under 1) year old child. I'm looking for some clarification about AA's policies regarding children. After our experience I checked the website but it doesn't really answer my question.

When we flew from DCA-ALB we checked our luggage curbside. I had previously called AA to register our lapchild. We checked in fine and AA announced preboarding. No issues. We checked 5 bags. They charged us for one.

On the return flight we checked in at the ticket counter. They asked us all sorts of questions. Baby's name, birthdate, who's holding the baby? Huh? They also charged us 85 bucks for luggage. When we approached the gate, I asked for and received a tag for the stroller we were gate checking. They never announced preboarding for infants and when we asked the gate agent she said AA doesn't preboard people traveling with kids.

I know the website says you need to ask for it and it seems like "maybe" they will oblige but maybe not...

Is there any rhyme or reason to this on AA and what was with all of the questions and the difference in baggage fees inbound vs. outbound?

I mostly fly UA and while people like to gripe about the airline on FT, I'm a huge fan of their policies regarding kids and preboarding.
I love AA policy that they don’t announce family boarding like UA, BA or IB. If you approach them and let them know you have a lap child - you will preboard with wheelchair and whoever else needs to board early.
If they had separate family boarding group like Southwest where 10 people prevoard cuz they have a 17 years old child with them.