FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:02 pm
no1cub17

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pjrubindc
So, having dredged through these many pages, my question is this. I have an award ticket on JAL in J, JFK-NRT. I need to get to JFK from Boston, and will buy a revenue ticket on AA, BOS-JFK. I gather there are some ways to do this that can result in both segments being put on the same PNR, providing both OW seat protection, and, importantly, baggage through-check. But what are they? Call AA (where I have gold status) and ask? Call JAL and ask? Call the award-issuing airline, AF, and ask? Call a TA one of you recommends?
In this case you're outta luck, there's no way I know that AF would be able to issue you a separate AA ticket inside the same PNR. Next time you need to do this, use AA miles. A knowledgeable agent can book a revenue segment inside the same PNR as the AA award ticket. This is a common problem given AA's terrible award availability. You have to do this at the time of booking though. So next time put the JL award on hold, and then call AA to book the revenue segment inside the JL award's PNR.