FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Business Award with NZ Economy Segment
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:20 am
fone

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
AFAIK non-Airpoints redemptions should book into Works (bag and meal).
Thanks for the reply. I thought it should too, as I was reading on UA redemptions on like LH intra-Europe or Eurowings, which should be with 1 checked bag. Assuming it should be the same here. How sure is this, other than me book and check (and cancel).

I was only able to call the NZ call center and ask about Airpoints redemption as they would not be familiar with *A redemptions I guess, all they mentioned was that the redemption is only for the flight with no bag. SQ call center was unable to answer this question as well, first stating 30kg (which is the SQ allowance) and not the 1 bag for 23kg stated on the NZ website.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If looking to use SQ ff miles for AKL-MEL check what a cash economy ticket would cost. Then decide if is value for money/ff miles.
You could compare cash fares on the main airlines, NZ, QF, VA and even JQ
Thanks. They are marginally worth the costs so far. We will definitely have checked baggages, thus wanted to check if my redemption would have free baggage and compare to prices with/without baggage. Otherwise may consider VA for its 1 free checked bag (either redemption or paid ticket). Would very much prefer NZ as I have UA *G, and the additional bag allowance may come in handy.

Now also considering eliminating the MEL stopover altogether, due to additional miles required for the AKL - MEL segment (SQ program have the same miles requirement for SIN to MEL or NZ, and even more for *A). Since AKL - MEL will be in economy, it would require lesser miles to redeem the "SIN - CHC, MEL - SIN" and AKL - MEL to be separate, or simply just to fly AKL - SIN.