FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: aavacations.com / AA Vacations flight & vacation package questions, discussion
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:38 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Do you know if the no EQD applies only if the entire booking is paid with points? Or as long as any portion of the flights is paid with points? Thanks.

It actually seems somewhat weird to me that no EQDs are awarded, since under the old system—where only the land portion could be paid with points—EQDs were calculated based on miles flown. The miles flown doesn't change whether cash or points are used for the flights. Otherwise, you would think EQD with AAVacations should have been "fare"-based all along. Put differently, EQMs and EQDs were calculated the same way (i.e., based on miles flown) under the old system, so if flights still earn EQM under this new system they should also still earn EQD.
I asked the same thing because of the distance base. I guess that rationale is that, if you don't pay any dollars, you get no dollars, even if the dollars are actually calculated based on distance.

I believe (and they just rolled this out, so I would be sure to confirm several times on a future booking) is that full EQD would apply if only the land portion is paid by miles and the rest by cash (and they know this amount), and that no EQD apply if all miles. I don't know if they'd prorate the EQD if more than the land minimum, or make it a hard stop. But I an't takin' no chances

Cheers.