FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WN changed booked flight times; can I get a refund on my WGA ticket ?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:25 pm
ursine1

Originally Posted by brianinok
I have a slightly different situation that came up this morning. My wife and I purchased two WGA tickets for a round trip in early December, non-stop both ways. Tickets were purchased mid-August. Today we got an email saying our schedule had changed. Originally we were schedule to arrive at our destination at 11:45 AM, which is nice on a short weekend getaway. We chose this flight because it was the earliest non-stop of the two airlines that fly the route (Southwest and American). The schedule change now has us arriving at 2:55 PM, over 3 hours later. Even the flight number has changed. This is hugely disappointing. To top it off with, American has now added an earlier morning flight, arriving at 10:07 AM. Return flights are unaffected and multiple are at acceptable times on both airlines.

The verbiage in the email from Southwest says we may change flights, but if the fare is different there will be a fare difference to pay. But Southwest only has later flights that are non-stop. We aren't keen on changing planes on such a short trip as the risk for a misconnect, lost baggage, delay, etc go up.

I would like to cancel and get a refund. We already have our travel plans mapped out for the next 12-14 months and we won't need another Southwest ticket, so getting credit would be pointless. If they'd give me longer than 12 months we could use them, but we won't within that window. Do I have any chance of getting a refund? If so, what provisions should I point the agent toward? Thanks!

I think you're reading that wrong regarding the fare difference. Per the CoC (pdf download), if Southwest changes your itinerary, your options are to accept the new one, change to a better one for no additional cost (same city pairs or co-terminals where available, up to 14 days from original travel date), or cancel for a full refund.

a. Failure to Operate as Scheduled
(1) Canceled Flights or Irregular Operations. In the event Carrier cancels or fails to operate any flight according to Carrier’s published schedule, or changes the schedule of any flight, Carrier will, at the request of a Passenger with a confirmed Ticket on such flight, take one of the following actions:
(i) Transport the Passenger at no additional charge on Carrier’s next flight(s) on which space is available to the Passenger’s intended destination, in accordance with Carrier’s established reaccommodation practices; or
(ii) Refund the unused portion of the Passenger’s fare in accordance with Section 4c.

Last edited by ursine1; Sep 5, 2019 at 4:35 pm