FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business class Zurich to Narita - reasonable price ?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:55 am
fassy

Originally Posted by Nic33
Agreed that the figure that you indicate is useless for F&B which is very average. But,on a day flight, the extra productivity on the flight may be worth it. On a night flight, the productivity on the day after is also worth that figure. PE can often do the trick on a day flight, though.
NOTE: the following section refers to using my own money for an upgrade on a business trip paid by some client (or employer). Not for my client straight up paying for J or F or flying for recreational trips.

To be honest, I'm one of those guys who don't work on the plane. NEVER. Doesn't matter if going economy, business or First. If I'm traveling, then I'm traveling. That is my paid time then. Paid travel time.

And also, going west my productivity the next day is great anyway. I always book the flight which takes me in around later afternoon or early evening, stay awake all the flight, have a dinner and go to bed at 10ish, wake up at 5am or so and be happy. Of course jetlag kicks in at around 3 to 4pm local time but even traveling in J or F won't make a difference there. On the way back, take a later flight out, try to sleep as good as possible an feel crappy the next day and be jetlagged for 2 or so days. But also do so flying back in J or F.

In any case, of course J is better than flying Y, and F is better than flying J. And if someone pays for J and F, or I have miles to burn, then I'll go J or F without thinking about it. But if my company (or client) is cheap and sends me wherever in Y, they have to live with me being a bit more messed up and I will not spend an extra of my own money to subsidies my clients. Actually, I use my miles most of the time for the F trips with my SO, happy wife... and so on. Works well for me.