FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Beyond the banked year
View Single Post
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:44 am
NZbutterfly

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I play in 3 main airline 'home' loyalty programmes, but participate in another 6. I prefer to spread my flying around mainly to give me flexibility with regards to pricing, schedule, airlines etc and I'm a bit nosey as to what other carriers have on offer.

I think the cost of obtaining a banked year is far more than just buying Koru club when no longer frequent flying and there's a senior discount for when you hit that magic age hence I never pursued banked years. There are no additional benefits between elite and banked year unlike the journey from Jade to Elite with 5 RUs and a shorthaul RU. Asiana offer lifetime *A status if you want to divert some flying there but they're apparently struggling a bit at the moment.

I'm not a big fan of the Qantas programme except for the fact it allows earn & burn with both Emirates, Qatar and other one world carriers. It feels relatively easy to earn status or at least gold with Qantas. As for their points, I don't value them at all. I felt robbed just paying the taxes for using them on a recent redemption! Apart from flying not as many opportunities to earn points on the ground like there are in Oz and you need a tonne of points for redemptions which are going up. They're supposed to be increasing availability but you'll be competing against a large Australian population that can earn via credit card sign ups and other means. They can earn points just for walking. Lifetime status on offer but I think something you aim for once you get close. I don't know if people aim for it from scratch.
Qantas are also incredibly stingy with partner earn. eg Qatar departing east coast Oz/NZ. I now credit partner one world flights to either BA or AA for points at least. There are some tricks to still obtaining status benefits whilst accruing to non status FFP. Actually at the BA lounge I had my non status FF# on the BP and just showed my Qantas card for entry. Easy.

Depending on your flying patterns I'd look at AA and BA for one world FFPs. Living outside the US you don't need the dollar spend requirement, so I think sectors or distance is all you need to look at. AA points are easy to buy, top up (only buy with the really good sales) and I think you can get some amazing value from them flying Asia, Europe or even to Australia west coast. BA points predominantly good for short haul under a certain distance. Need 4 BA flights for One world sapphire. No hard expiry of points in either programme and easy enough to extend even if not flying. For BA earn the rest of the tier points with a single Qatar business flight from say Asia/NZ to Western Europe.

I find VA & partners useful.

Part of me has really enjoyed learning about the various programmes but I think lately I'm less enthusiastic. I value the basics of being comfortable on my flight, price, & schedule. I don't like being ripped off on earn so will divert partner earn accordingly. I used to dedicate part of the year to NZ, part to Qantas but became miserable when I was on an aircraft I didn't want to be on just for status credits and the competition were flying a far more comfortable aircraft on the same route. Juggling SP/SC can be a hassle as well. I juggle a bit now as there's no getting around that if you're in more than one FFP but it's nowhere near the headache it used to be and I'm happy with the flexibility, freedom it gives me. I don't feel locked in at all.

Anyway, I'd recommend considering a one world programme. I can't remember if AA are offering status challenges still, but Qantas have one which might shorten the journey, then just retain although it's at their discretion whether they offer it to you based on your current patterns and a well worded email.