FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Even more service cuts being tested
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:02 am
tphuang

I don't see all of these as service reductions. In fact the A320 refurbishment are badly needed and phase 2 have drawn rave reviews. There is also no evidence that airplane cleaning reductions are more than a small trial service. There hasn't been any internal email gone out about this according to other JetBlue employees. I actually like the idea of serving drinks via mini-carts.

I see A321NEO, A320 phase 2 reconfigured and A220 addition all to be hugely popular with customers going forward. Hard to find more customer friendly Y cabins anywhere else in this world.

DL is all bluster at BOS. It runs a huge money losing operation there. What they have there is completely unsustainable in any kind of economic downturn. It will be the first station downsized if DL gets into a situation where it has to cut underperforming routes. And they simply don't have the number of gates to come close to challenging size of B6 operations in BOS. And once B6 starts flying to Europe, DL will lose the only major advantage it has.

B6 has gotten to this size in BOS while always facing strong legacy competition due to the fragmented nature of BOS. It has only gained pricing power vs legacy carriers and market share since DL's buildup started. DL's buildup simply has reoriented its primary competition from AA to DL. Even with its current buildup, DL is about the same size as AA domestically (when counting revenue passengers) while losing out when it comes to international partners (BA/IB/JL/CX vs VS/AF/KL/KE).

JetBlue's OTP issues are not exactly new and it is working on addressing them. The past OTP issues have not in anyway caused them to lose pricing power to the legacies.