FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which card(s) to use for high spend or large purchases? [Consolidated]
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:59 pm
MDtR-Chicago
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by windwalker
1). Bump the Amex to plat for 60K MR points (after 5k in 90 days). Thought about opening a Schwab account for maybe 100k MR points but that seems
pretty narrowly targeted. Anyone know of an offer for more than 60K?
Is there a compelling reason you need a Plat? If you're using United clubs, what does it really buy you? (And unless you have a targeted offer to change to the Plat, you'll need to apply for a net new card anyway if you want the 60k bonus)
1a). Not sure if I want to do just straight up Amex or maybe co-branded DL card. Have an offer for 75k miles, with 2k spend in first 90 days.
My skymiles account is darn near empty, so not sure what good 75k sky pesos will do me. I will likely be flying DL some as territory is southeast.
Bigger question here - if you are going to be traveling more, there's a lot of value in standardizing on an airline to earn elite status. Regardless, tho, if the offer you have is the 75k on the Delta Gold card, with first year annual fee waived and a $50 statement credit, that is the best offer in recent memory, perhaps ever, so you should consider applying for it anyway.
1b). Will likely downgrade either at 1st year mark
Make sure you wait until after the annual fee posts to avoid a clawback
2). Reduce credit line on Barclay's card and have for if/when I might be on AA (or maybe just close it)
You could apply for the Citi version later if you need it and earn the bonus again. There is also a business version from both Citi and Barclays.
3). Keep Chase Presidential Plus (or convert to Club Card?)
If you're going to keep the club access, it probably makes sense to keep the Presidential Plus. There are no publicly available cards that earn PQM so you're holding a benefit you can't really get otherwise. Plus I think you are grandfathered into a lower annual fee.
4). Convert Mileageplus Visa to Sapphire Plus for 60k points, after 4k in 90 days
No bonus for converting, only a new application. If you're thinking of a UR card, the Chase Ink Preferred still has an 80k bonus.

Q-am I better to pay off balances first? before opening/changing accounts?
Why are you ever carrying a balance?