FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best/most aspirational Small Luxury Hotels for awards with WoH
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:52 am
Duke777

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
St. James London

Originally Posted by Duke777
Thanks for the help with expectations. We're using a free Cat 1-7 expiring night so not a huge deal since we'll be there less than 24 hours. I like the area a bit more than the Churchill and wanted to change things up one night.
We had a one night stay using a Cat 1-7 free night award.

The good:
-Room was ready for check-in at noon. I emailed a few days before about an early check-in but never heard back.
-Upgraded one category to the second level (deluxe room). The room had a king bed and was decent size (i.e., small like you'd expect in Europe).
-Location was very convenient and central. The hotel was located on a quiet street which we appreciated, just one to two blocks from the main strip.
-Continental breakfast included was decent to start the day. Unclear if we could've had eggs or if we needed to pay extra.
-Had free canapes and glass of champagne from 3-5pm. I believe this is temporary due to construction at the restaurant.

The okay/bad:
-Charged 5% tax on check-out along with a 12.5% service fee for the "free" continental breakfast. Breakfast was originally on bill but they removed. Didn't push on the taxes it totaled 14 GBP, but what???
-Hotel was old and room pretty beat up. Fortunately the room was pretty quiet, but it's not like the Churchill.
-The bathroom was VERY difficult to manage. The bathroom was long and narrow with the sink sticking out. A person of size would struggle to fit through to the shower/toilet. You basically couldn't stand directly in front of the sink.
-Service was mixed. One gentleman was super helpful while the others were less so. Canapes and breakfast all seemed slightly confused and we didn't feel comfortable clarifying.
-Zero mention of hyatt. We'll see if my stay posts.

Overall, we liked the location a lot more than the Churchill, but didn't love the hard and soft product. There are so many options in London, I'd stay somewhere else given the high price and points cost. I think I'll general stick to Hyatts where my benefits are clear and I can apply a suite upgrade unless an SLH is the only thing available or clearly a step above the Hyatt option.