FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR/BKK: maximize points/reaching status asap
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:34 am
rbAA

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by milesfreak321
travel patterns:
my job requires a lot of travelling (read weekly); being based london, I naturally opted for BA as main carrier; my flight destinations do differ: its been wider europe in last 12 months and will be south east asia for the next 6-12 months;
what I am trying to achieve:
- shortly after reaching gold on BA, I am planning to build my status (ideally senator) on MM (so that I have more options with using both, e.g. when *A offers better connectivity)
I am not sure why you say MM is difficult: just checked on wheretocredit.com and most of flights (thai air, swiss, lufthansa) from LHR to BKK are @200% when crediting to MM? on the MM miles calculator I found that the LHR/BKK on business yields about 10000 miles (status and bonus miles); does the 200% mean I am getting about 20000 credited when flying one-way?
which stopovers would you recommend(improving status/miles yield), if at all, when taking lhr/bkk?
many thanks. P
Like someone else said, M&M is a calendar based program, so reaching *A G may not work for the remainder of this year. So, try one of the easier, i.e. lower threhold and maybe a 12-month from sign up programs. TK looks easy with their current status match offer, and you do need to fly TK (so you'll connect in IST probably,) but can get and keep Gold for longer if you do just 25k on TK. OZ is the other "easy" one, but they seem to be having some financial issues so while you only need 40k on any *A carrier to get Gold for up to 4 years, there is a risk.

Of course, why not just enjoy your BA status? You earned it and can make the most out of it and fly One World: CX thru HKG (OK, maybe that's not such a good choice right now,) MH thru KUL, QR thru DOH, and of course, BA direct though I've heard they use their beater equipment to and from BKK.