FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2019 Consolidated]
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:41 am
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by prometa
This year had 2 TATL trips in paid J, which is where all of the PQD came from. If I do travel internationally next year (not guaranteed), it will be again in paid J, so the GPUs are probably not super valuable except as replacements for RPU. For CPU, I am SFO based, flying to IAD most of the time, where employer will only pay for Y. I figure there's still only a small chance of CPU on that route even as 1K, but have never been 1K so am not sure. (Am currently gold, which is where I'll be again if no international travel occurs next year)

Given that calculation, would you say the $1000 OOP cost to make 1K is worth it? Obviously, if I could make good use of GPUs, or would often get CPUs, then yes, but otherwise seems like $1000 could buy more Y-->P paid upgrades than I would get CPU. If the GPUs work as RPUs, then I'd get my $1000 back, but I'm not sure those would clear. (and would almost never clear at booking)
See my calculations above. What is your current upgrade clearance rate at SFO? Pretty low I would bet. It won't be much better as a 1K, because the upgrades will still go to all the GS flyers.

As Plat this year I do miss some of the 1K perks like the free meals and drinks, and the pre-boarding. But IMO those are not worth $1K. And as UA miles are not an incentive anymore (due to massive deval in November) I often find myself flying other carriers when the fares (incl. E+) are lower.

If you can use the RPUs/GPUs for transcons or international flights then I say go for it. But if you're flying mostly hub-hub then don't count on the upgrades unless you have massive flexibility. Which is not likely the case if you want to maximize time with your family.