FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Entering USA from Canada by land w/o a passport: experience?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 12:24 am
Smiley90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by König
Howdy folks,

Has anyone had experience returning from Canada without a passport (card)? I send in my passport and passport card for renewal and won't be able to get them back in time for an unexpected trip to Vancouver, BC. I am going to take my driver license and Naturalization Certificate with me and will be crossing at either Peace Arch or Pacific Hwy. Now, this is a practical question: how long did you spend in secondary, how hard was the experience and did you have any problem crossing the border later with proper documents?

If there is a chance I can be flagged after this and experience delays during my future border crossings, I will probably cancel this trip (my boss won't be happy). Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I can't specifically respond to your question, I just know that trying to enter without a valid travel document will get you permanently flagged and make you ineligible for a lot of visa waiver programs between the countries involved. I'm a bit confused though - you're asking about entering the US, but you're not asking about entering Canada without a passport, only about your return? Or do you have a Canadian passport as well and you're merely wondering about your return to the US? If you have a Canadian passport to enter Canada then what I wrote above is probably moot.

Source:I ran into this issue when I realized AT THE PODIUM that I brought my old, expired passport. The agent was kind of enough to let me turnstile and specifically write down "NOT an attempted border crossing" so as to not have that permanent refusal mark on my record.