FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Forbes Story on Skymiles Redemption on Premium Class Award travel
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:49 am
xliioper
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CoMooter

That is it. For a long time finding international J class seats with SM has been problematic. .01 a mile seems the norm for pricing on awards - or sometimes even worse.

Because DL offers a much better product in so many other ways they can afford to do this. At least right now, in terms of retaining customers.

i have to wonder though what this reality is having in terms of wanting to have/spend on an AMEX DL card.
DL recently stated earlier this year that they expect revenue from the Amex relationship to double from $3.5 billion to $7 billion annually by 2023. I can't imagine they would be bold enough to publicly state such a goal if revenue from Amex spend had been trending downward. Is it really that difficult to imagine that FTer priorities are likely outliers and that most people don't obsess as much over the award programs in general and premium cabin awards in particular? I believe that DL publicly stated a few years back that something like 90% of awards are for domestic coach. Consider the fact this is a self-selected community and those with only a casual interest in award programs aren't really reflected that well here.