FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Saver fares and switching seats
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:24 pm
chipmaster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by QT31415
Small rant- the last few flights I’ve taken have been preceded by requests from gate agents for me (single traveler) to trade seats for “families with children” who need to sit together. At first I assumed it was last minute ticketing that kept them from sitting as they wanted, but after overhearing the last family, I suspect that they’ve taken advantage of the new saver fares to not preassign their seats. I just gave up 6D for 22B and am not happy about it, but the alternative was sitting beside a young mother with an infant and a toddler and feeling guilty the whole flight.

Whats your response to seat trade requests? Ive also traded for families to sit together in the past only to have the parent sit in my premium seat and the child remain with another family member elsewhere. Usually I’m mild mannered but I think I need to set boundaries....
I'd not give up PE for back of the bus, but I'd willing swap if I was back of the bus.

If someone knowingly purchased the most inexpensive seats, why should they be surprised that they will be sitting in the middle, getting on last, and have no overhead space? But also if you are responsible parent/human being you'd also not try to take advantage of the system, nor should you travel seperated from your children even up to teen age, but that is just my opinion