FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it cheaper to buy PE upfront or addon later? [UA International]
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:09 am
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by federernadal
So I am doing a trip DFW to somewhere in south east asia (haven't decided yet) later this year. I see on google flights it is like $900 roundtrip for economy on United, and $1400 for premium economy. Is it advisable to get Economy for now then buy premium economy for the couple long legs or should I just pay the extra $500 upfront and get premium economy all the way? Based on the experience I have (havent paid much attention in the past) it looks like it is cheaper to buy PE upfront? Any conventional wisdom on this?
I'd venture to say that like everything else, it would come down to supply and demand for paid upgrade offers at check-in for example, vice today's pricing offer. Usually very hard to predict. Even if you found folks with a couple of data points on the same routes, market conditions change.

I'd second LondonElite - if the PE price is one you can afford and you really want PE, just buy it now. If it's not then buy regular Y...if there happens to be a paid upgrade offer later that you consider reasonable, then you can decide then to buy up or just stick with Y.