FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gratuities [pre-flight lounge dining]
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:49 am
Bigbearcatcher

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 27Liam
While I do not work for BA or any other airline customer facing role, if I was the recipient of an edible / drinkable gift from a passenger I would likely discard it given the obvious safety implications of not being able to verify where it came from or that it had not been tampered with. If someone wanted to harm individuals, a very easy way to achieve this would be giving staff tainted "gifts" to consume and you can imagine how bad the situation could get if a large number of CC were incapacitated mid flight by "gifts".

I appreciate it doesn't quite have the same safety implications as an airline but at least in my experience, in the UK, it is fairly standard that if you have a relative (usually elderly) in hospital for a couple of days or more, it is common to bring in a tub of sweet for the nurses to say thanks.

Also I have visited the ward the next day and observed the sweets open in the nurse's station so they definitely don't bin them or worry about tampering, these things are usually reasonably well sealed and if you had opened the box it would be obvious.

Maybe in other places or roles people in customer facing roles are more concerned about accepting edible gifts from "strangers".