FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MU Overnight Transit Hotel Service
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:21 pm
maverikbc

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by Amelorn
OP:

1) Today I learned that you can do KMG-YVR direct.

2) I lived/studied at a language school across the street from the Holiday Inn. If you had more time in KMG, I would recommend it, as it is probably one of the best HI's I have ever seen - also backed up by some short-term students who have stayed there. The property's Thai restaurant is fantastic, and the Chinese restaurant's dim sum was a weekend treat for us to visit. Staff are also very accommodating.

BUT....it's a 30 minute cab ride w/o traffic and 45-50 min with traffic into/out of town. Cab runs about CNY80 or so.

I'd strongly recommend taking a room at one of the many airport-adjacent hotels.
1. Yes, I'm aware, although KMG-YVR flight stops at PVG or NKG, I think. One stop option is almost always the most expensive (often to the point rather take better carriers and connection experiences like BR, NH, etc), the trips which takes 40+ hrs with 3+ connections can be ridiculously cheap, though travelers need Chinese visa for that. My itinerary is barely under 24hrs in and out of China on my way back, if they make any schedule changes to make my stay longer than 24 hours, I may be screwed, because I don't have any Chinese visa. For CAD450 (and credit 100% to DL status), I'll see if the saving will be worth it.
2. I'd love to stay in central KMG and explore, but I'm arriving after midnight, and leaving at 9am, I've given up that idea. As a ST+, I 'should' have access to MU lounges, and I wonder if it's open 24 hours to spend the night. It won't be a bad idea especially my flight from BKK arrives late.