FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GREEK ISLAND suggestions?
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:53 pm
Romanianflyer

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
@Romanianflyer: I leave for Karpathos for a week tomorrow (by ferry, taking my own car) and again in 3 weeks (with my own boat), west shore combined with Kassos: the advantages or retirement!
You probably have been already there countless of times and know everything - but if you can, overnight in Olympos or at least stay until darkness falls, when all tourists are out of town and just a handful of talkative locals remain in the one or two taverns of the town telling strong tales of the past while the wind is blowing through the streets. I'm not Greek like you so it might be obviously different for me, but this town is just how I imagine traditional Greece from decades ago, even though modernity has even made the old grannies in town in traditional clothes speak English!

Talking about winds, I have never seen such strong winds as on Karpathos last autumn.. It didn't really interfere with my stay, on the contrary, plenty of sheltered bays to swim, and the strong wind gusts made the island feel even more remote and rough! But I hope for you and your kaiki that the winds will be kind as I cannot imagine with such winds going out on sea in a small vessel