FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paid Excess Baggage Fees on AA Flight that United Put Me On
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:07 pm
lincolnjkc

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Ive learned the correct behavior in this specific situation is to insist that UA check, tag, and “send the bag down” before rebooking the flight on AA. Then the bag room gets a reroute and carries the bag over to AA. Otherwise AA is ruthless with collecting bag fees.

On the other hand earlier this year I had an issue where Cayman Airways refused to accept a through-checked bag on a UA->KX itinerary and charged me $20 or $25 to recheck it. Thanks to a 3 hour ,mechanical delay on the UA inbound eating all of my connection time in GCM (KX wound up holding the flight for me and running me through customs) I didn’t have time to argue and KX told me to take it up with UA (I think just to get me to go away)

wrote 1K desk not expecting much/anything (figured maybe a $50 ETC or similarly token) and had a voicemail apologizing the next day, and within a week had a check for the bag fee and a very generous (IMO) ETC in the mail