FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Switching WN to AA?
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:53 pm
argolfer

Switching WN to AA?

Late last year, I switched from DL (where I'd been with occasional travel for 5 years) to WN.

Primarily, I was flying 1X a month to WN cities. Not enough for much status on AA or DL. But on WN I got A-List and Companion Pass, the latter of which I earned through credit card spend. Now my job has changed a bit and I'm flying 2X a month at least. Sometimes more. I'm flying all over, so I frequently go to non-WN cities. I buy expensive tickets, which means the segments might be fewer but the dollars/miles are high. This month I flew AA, WN, and DL all one time each. So now I'm re-evaluating for 2020. I have Companion Pass on WN but never use it. The miles are worth a lot but I mostly cash the in for Amazon cards.

Might switch to AA, because I'm close to DFW (LIT). CLT would be another major connecting city for me. Right now it's STL or DAL on WN.

It seems obvious for me: given my level of travel, upgrades are more likely on AA than DL. And DFW is close enough to drive if I have a cancelled flight. But I don't know that I've ever met a happy AA customer, and that's my main concern. I do like DL. And though the storms sometimes make me late, ATL is crazy easy to connect through. And of course, power plugs everywhere! But my A-List status only gets me Silver on Delta, where I'd be much of next year. OTOH, WN's points are awesome, A-List is easy to get, and gate-to-gate Wi-Fi is nice, even if it doesn't always work.

I'd love to hear opinions on this. In the past I traveled so little that WN was the only one that made sense. Nowadays, I'm not so sure. And TBH, this MAX thing really affected my budding loyalty with WN, because I feel like they were not very forthcoming.

Would you switch to AA right now (status challenge this winter?) if you were me?