FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:43 am
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder

The reason a lot of public facility restrooms have gone to having automatic, “touch-less” dispensers for soap, water and paper/cloth towels is because the manual dispensers tend to; be more disgusting, encourage more paper/plastic use to avoid skin contact; more metering/throttling of use/misuse; and more often getting broken by physical contact more than automated, “touch-less” dispensers.

Bad apple or good apple housekeepers, the shared wall-mounted dispensers requiring skin contact tend to have a more heterogenous contaminant pool than single-use toiletries.

If you want to know how some deal with hotel TV remote controls, door knobs, locks and light switches, just look at what is sold in the travel toiletries section of department stores and pharmacies: disinfecting wipes, disinfectant sprays/gels and more.

Are laundered PJs as commonly washed by travel service providers with the water at 60C-90C temperatures as bed linens and towels and using at least as robust anti-pathogen chemicals?
I would like to see the medical literature documenting an infectious disease picked up from using a hotel TV remote control.

Can't say I visited ANA's facility for laundering their J class PJs, but to be honest I would not find it concerning. That is one of the places where I have encounter the laundered PJ discussions, it could go hand in hand with the borrowed sports wear at gyms in hotels and for the now shelved idea of a gym in th Cathay lounges (yoga room came though).

I am not saying the dispensers can't build up to a sanitary problem in hotels, just the the assumption as a matter of principle that it always, or even frequently, will is wrong. And where they do, the dispensere are not a cause but part of the effect of the problem

I also find the reference to plastic glasses in the rooms mildly amusing. That is one that alternates between 'So disgusting to have glasses instead of platoc cups as housekeeping won't clean them properly" and "Outrageous cost cutting to remove the glasses for plastic cups" There is just no positive way out for the hotel operators...
​​​​​