FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:30 pm
erik19283

Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33
A deal is a deal.

A representation by an agent at the time of booking is a term of the contract.

I've been provided with no terms and conditions to the contrary. The contract is now firm. I have a booking that includes a destination and two stopovers with the options and expense of making changes clearly explained to me in writing and by phone. If they want to rewrite the rules on future bookings then that's one thing but they cannot rewrite a contract once its paid for / tickets redeemed.

I have faith that Aeroplan will make the right decision on retroactive application . . . not because they want to but because if they don't then I will be inviting them to explain to the Ministry of Consumer Protection and Affairs why they think they would think they could violate the Consumer Protection Act, 2002 (Ontario) and why they should be exempt from a $250,000.00 fine. All of that is hypothetical, of course, because they haven't broken the rules. All that is to say they have the right incentive to treat existing bookings fairly.

If you book after, September 1, 2019, however, you're probably stuck. In that case the only thing that has forced Aeroplan to become more reasonable has been class action litigation.
From my own experience, I believe what you said to be true. A few years ago, when Aeroplan reshuffled their award chart, I booked 2 business class tickets before the December 15 deadline, which about 10 months in advance for out trip (ICN - SIN). Of course, something came up and I had to change our schedules bit, but when I called in I never had to pay more miles than I had to when I had booked. Keep in mind that it went from 30K miles per ticket to 80K, so I was really glad I didn't have to pay the difference!