FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business class (first timer)
View Single Post
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:19 am
Gig103

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mjuler
This was me last week, first business class flights from LHR to ORD and back. My first thought is that whilst it was a big step up from economy in terms of space, if it was my own money I wouldn't be paying 5x as much to travel on the same aircraft just for the Polaris experience (both flights were on the recently refurbished High J 767-300).

The United lounge at LHR and the Polaris lounge at ORD were both good, especially the pre-flight dining at ORD before the return flight. The service on board was also a step up from what I've been used to at the back on the plane.
I've heard friends say the same thing - only on other people's money - but I can't go back. I don't think of it as a price differential, but the overall price. I shop for deals, fly midweek, and use positioning flights. I've paid as little as $2000/person for business class out of LAX when it was $5500 out of PHX, but I admit $3000 is more common a 'deal' price. As my friend points out, that's the same price as a cruise, so "why not suffer in exchange for another vacation?" My answer to him is because I don't want to suffer