FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:59 pm
no1cub17

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Two ways this could matter.
1. What are the exact condition of the the YUP fares? Are they an F fare, or a Y fare with better seating? If the latter, that would explain the missing priority tag.
2. There could have been a system glitch, seeing you as a Y pax, rather than F. Picking up the original fare class
Huh - either way it still doesn't make sense to me. As far as (1), a YUP fare is defined by being a Y fare that includes an instant upgrade. As for (2), the booking code on the ticket (and our boarding passes) still shows I, so I'm not sure why the system would flag us as Y passengers. To me this is significant because we booked this ticket expecting to earn 2xEQMs. That would be incredible for AA to be so deceptive as to only award Y class miles when purchasing a F ticket. I've never had this issue when upgrading with stickers, which is odd because the original fare basis for a ticket upgraded with stickers is definitely discount Y - so by this logic we shouldn't get priority baggage on upgraded tickets either, but we do.

If indeed it's due to the YUP issue, I'm kind of shocked that as frequently I read this forum, that I don't remember anyone else having a similar issue. Surely someone else would've noticed this "glitch" before today!