FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Safety of Frankfurt compared to London?
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:27 pm
elizadoo

Thank you for the information. Yes, the GBP is down compared to the USD, and already we are seeing 'discounts' and 'offers' for reduction of rent in London. Also, our daughter was notified by several UK universities the acceptance period had been extended (due, no doubt, to under-enrollment as a result of upcoming Brexit fears) and we have read in the news that UK unis are begging for more international students for financial reasons. And yes, Brexit will certainly affect budgets and services. I suspect there will be cuts--the uni my daughter has chosen has a small population of only 8000 students, yet it has a library open 24/363! That would be unheard of in the US, and that will be the first type of service to be cut, I am sure.

The Master's program in London is only 10 months in length, whereas the same program in Frankfurt is 2 years. For that reason she has chosen London. I have to say that she was in Germany last fall, Muenster, and she made many wonderful friends and really enjoyed the city. However, the uni program was not quite what she wanted, and she found it difficult getting by knowing only a little bit of German language.

She has said she does not intend to stay in the UK after getting her Master's degree but would consider going back to Germany for an intensive German language course with the intention of later finding a job there.