FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Conrad Koh Samui {THA}
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:43 pm
kmandrew

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thbe
The Waldorf Astoria is the best Hilton property in BKK, followed by the Conrad.

BKK-Samui by bus/ferry takes appr. 14 hours and by train/ferry appr. 17 hours. The train part of the train/ferry combination on a 1st/2nd class sleeper can be comfortable and interesting, but the waiting time, the bus transfer and the ferry aren‘t. I did it once and I don‘t want to miss that experience. But I won’t do it again.

If you arrive at BKK at 11pm, it’s a good time for party, but a bad time for connecting flights or busses. So you should book a hotel for that night. The only alternative is to book a private limousine to Samui departing the same night.

Bangkok is worth visiting for a lot of reasons. It offers higher quality and more choice than Samui. But at Samui you will find enough alternatives at an acceptable level of quality plus you can spend your time at the beach/sea. So if you don‘t know Bangkok well or at all, use that opportunity to visit it. Otherwise you don‘t need too.

Btw: If you want to go to Samui only, you should check xxx-SIN-USM as an alternative. Sometimes the award availability to SIN is better than to BKK.
Thanks
My wife wants to add Japan so I think we will spend 3 nights at the Conrad in Bangkok, as you suggested pay our way to USM, spend 3 nights at Samui. The routing back on ANA using VS miles looks like we leave BKK at 2200 get to NRT at 6:30 am so thinking take the train to Kyoto for 3 days then Tokyo for 2 days; I’m booking separate award reservations to get a stop over in Japan. If I have to use AA miles for the BKK-NRT leg I think I have to go through KUL.